Sunday, June 28, 2026

Project Update #11: Simple Machines Made Simple by Chase Roberts

June Update: Hopefully you have your book! – Fill out the Survey! -------------------- We're shipping books! And we've shipped out all the Kickstarter orders that I have shipping addresses for. If you don't have your book or a tracking number yet, then you likely never completed the survey. You can find the survey here: https://backer.hackylabs.com I'm still shipping out pre-orders accepted post-Kickstarter, and probably will be for the next 4 weeks, but we're at the part where people are sending me pictures, videos, and reviews of the books in action, and it's amazing, and even sometimes emotional, to see these glimpses of you all when you receive the book. I got a video of a three or four year old kid going through the book with his grandpa, while his dad was recording. And our little guy is explaining the components to his grandpa, and asking about different examples, "Is this a lever?" The video was really touching. So I was telling Ramses, one of the guys helping pack books, about the video, and describing it to him, and telling him how special it feels, "We helped make that little moment happen." And Ramses, without even seeing the video, just broke into tears. --I promise everyone that has been helping has unlimited access to A/C, hydration, and breaks. These were tears of joy, not exhaustion. The two best parts of the production cycle for me are the initial prototyping, where I don't have to worry about how to make everything work, I just get to explore what might work, and how we might realize the different components. It's a lot of tinkering and play. Then we get into the production prototyping, where I have to make everything work, and make it work wonderfully, and that is usually less fun, because you've been staring at the same parts for 12 months and the honeymoon phase is over. But the other best part is when books start landing in people's hands, and they can say, "Oh, I ordered this 8 months ago. I guess it wasn't a scam! Chase is just really bad at predicting how long things take." I will admit there are books that get past us that don't work perfectly. If you got your book and have any issues with it, let me know via email, pictures and videos always help. I am pretty behind on emails, so please just be patient if it takes a few days for me to get to it. Thank you all so much! -Chase ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
Kickstarter
June Update: Hopefully you have your book!
Posted by Chase Roberts
View on Kickstarter

Fill out the Survey!

We're shipping books! And we've shipped out all the Kickstarter orders that I have shipping addresses for. If you don't have your book or a tracking number yet, then you likely never completed the survey. You can find the survey here:

https://backer.hackylabs.com

I'm still shipping out pre-orders accepted post-Kickstarter, and probably will be for the next 4 weeks, but we're at the part where people are sending me pictures, videos, and reviews of the books in action, and it's amazing, and even sometimes emotional, to see these glimpses of you all when you receive the book. I got a video of a three or four year old kid going through the book with his grandpa, while his dad was recording. And our little guy is explaining the components to his grandpa, and asking about different examples, "Is this a lever?" The video was really touching.

So I was telling Ramses, one of the guys helping pack books, about the video, and describing it to him, and telling him how special it feels, "We helped make that little moment happen." And Ramses, without even seeing the video, just broke into tears. --I promise everyone that has been helping has unlimited access to A/C, hydration, and breaks. These were tears of joy, not exhaustion.

The two best parts of the production cycle for me are the initial prototyping, where I don't have to worry about how to make everything work, I just get to explore what might work, and how we might realize the different components. It's a lot of tinkering and play. Then we get into the production prototyping, where I have to make everything work, and make it work wonderfully, and that is usually less fun, because you've been staring at the same parts for 12 months and the honeymoon phase is over. But the other best part is when books start landing in people's hands, and they can say, "Oh, I ordered this 8 months ago. I guess it wasn't a scam! Chase is just really bad at predicting how long things take."

I will admit there are books that get past us that don't work perfectly. If you got your book and have any issues with it, let me know via email, pictures and videos always help. I am pretty behind on emails, so please just be patient if it takes a few days for me to get to it.

Thank you all so much! 

-Chase

Show support and stay involved—let Chase Roberts know you read this update.

Like

or Comment
More from this creator
Update #10 Books are here!!!
Update #9 Books are on a Boat!
Recommended for you
Support another creative project today.
PM Press Celebrating 20 Years – Book by Book, Brick by Brick

$13,825

pledged

136

backers

5

days left

PM Press Celebrating 20 Years – Book by Book, Brick by Brick

We're releasing limited rewards, new books, and new merch to secure our independent, radical publishing project for the next 20 years.

by PM Press

The Rebel Loon Archive: A Book of Protest Art

$52,555

pledged

609

backers

2

days left

The Rebel Loon Archive: A Book of Protest Art

A 200-page hardcover book of artwork speaking out against ICE and Operation Metro Surge.

by Rebel Loon Press

Candi Jenkins Debut Album

$29,131

pledged

338

backers

5

days left

Candi Jenkins Debut Album

A full length album of Candi Jenkins original country/folk music.

by Candi Jenkins

Help Restore BEASTIE BOYS' Legendary G-Son Studios

$27,544

pledged

170

backers

3

days left

Help Restore BEASTIE BOYS' Legendary G-Son Studios

Home to groundbreaking hip-hop, funk, & experimental music, help us give G-Son Studios a new life as a venue & community space in LA.

by Adam Englander

View more
Don't want to receive updates from this project? That's okay, you can unsubscribe.
Manage your notification settings
Instagram Facebook Twitter
Kickstarter, PBC · 228 Park Ave S PMB 59430, New York New York 10003-1502
Contact us
Kickstarter Terms of Use

No comments: